Post-MSN Certificate

The certificate programs at WVU offer masters-prepared nurses the opportunity to earn a certificate in pediatric (PNP) and family (FNP) nurse practitioner specialty; a post-master’s certificate in an adult gerontology acute care nurse practitioner specialty; a post-master’s certificate in a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner specialty; and a post-master’s certificate in nurse executive leadership.

Learn more about our AGACNP, NEL, and MSN/MBA programs here:

AGACNP Information Session

Please note: Students enrolled in certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Visit Student Financial Support & Services for additional information.

Areas of Study

The Post-Graduate Certificate Programs prepare graduate level nurses to sit for a national certification examination based on their chose area of study, either FNP, PNP, AGACNP, PMHNP or NEL. Please click on an area of study below to learn more, including program descriptions, program outcomes, progression plans and course descriptions. 

State Approvals for Clinical Placements

Universities offering distance education must abide by the laws of each state in which students are placed for their practicum experience. There are several states at this time that may not allow WVU nursing students to participate in a practicum experience, and therefore a site placement cannot be guaranteed. A State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) must be in place to allow a WVU nursing student to participate in clinicals. To determine if your state has been approved for clinical placements, go to WVU Online

Please contact with questions about State Authorization for clinicals:

A photo of Billie Vance.
Billie Sue Vance, PhD, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, CNE
West Virginia University
Director of MSN/DNP Programs, Office of Academics
Clinical Associate Professor, Adult Health Department
Nurse Practitioner, Office of Faculty Practice and Community Engagement

Information Request

Our Student Services staff will be glad to answer your questions in person or by phone/e-mail. Please fill out the information request form via WVU Online and someone will be in touch.