The RN to MSN program is designed for the registered nurse who is a graduate of an associate degree nursing program and is interested in a program that leads to the Master of Science in Nursing degree. This program is offered at both the Morgantown and Charleston campuses. The RN to MSN is designed for completion in eight semesters of full-time study, with students earning a BSN and then progressing to the MSN portion of the program. The program is offered online, with some on-campus sessions required for the MSN portion of the program.
*Please note: The School of Nursing offers in-state tuition for the RN-BSN program, regardless of residency. The appropriate in- and out-of-state tuition applies to the MSN portion of this program.
- Associate degree in nursing from a nationally accredited program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted
- Unrestricted license to practice nursing
- Completion of WVU’s General Education Curriculum requirements
These can be completed while enrolled in the program - required GEC’s for the RN-BSN program include - ENGL 102, STAT 211, PSYC 101, PSYC 241, and SOCA 101 (if not already taken)
- Completion of three (3) credits of health assessment with a grade of C or better
Apply To WVU
Once you have reviewed the qualifications you can begin the application process. Below is a button that will take you to the WVU application page. To get started you'll first need to create an account on that page. Once you have done so, click "Start Application" and review your admission type prior to completing enrollment information.
- The application period for the Spring term will open on May 1 and close on November 1. All transcripts must be received no later than November 15.
- The application period for the Summer term will open on September 1 and close on March 1. All transcripts must be received no later than March 15.
- The application period for the Fall term will open on December 1 and close on July 1. All transcripts must be received no later than July 15.
Upon successful completion you will receive an email confirmation on receipt of application. You can also return to that site to track your documents and check your application status. New students can expect an admissions packet in the mail within 4-6 weeks of submitted application.
Complete Supplemental Application
After you have applied to WVU you must complete a supplemental application for admission.
Once the supplemental application has been completed you must submit a current resume or curriculum vitae and an essay describing how the MSN program will meet your professional goals. Please limit your essay to two type-written, double-spaced pages.
Applicants must also provide three letters of reference addressing the applicant’s likelihood for success in graduate work. One letter should be from a former professor. You will list your references, with their email addresses, on the Recommendations screen. Your references will receive an email from Hobsons with an electronic form. They will also need to upload a letter of recommendation.
Official college transcripts from each college or university attended must be sent directly from the institution to:
WVU Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 6009
Morgantown WV 26506
Students are notified of the admissions decision by mail within 4-6 weeks of submitted application.